Choices Counseling & Skills Center and Clearview Treatment Programs Present:
When BIG Emotions are Driving the Bus!
We invite you to join us for a lunch and learn event in Pasadena, CA!
- Do you work with people who struggle with emotions that get in the way of effective problem solving or create problems in their relationships?
- Do your clients go from crisis to crisis preventing them from developing effective coping skills?
- Have you ever unintentionally gotten caught up in the storm of BIG emotions and regretted your reactions?
Oftentimes, BIG emotions show up in the midst of challenge, pain or conflict, and can lead to behaviors that make things worse unintentionally.
This brief workshop offers an introduction to the assumptions, strategies, and skills of dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), currently considered one of the gold standard treatment protocols for people who struggle with regulating their emotions and the unintended consequences that often follow.
For both professionals and recipients of services, DBT offers SKILLS to accept things we cannot change and SKILLS to effectively make difficult changes when needed.
Enjoy lunch, network, and take away some useful tools to identify, understand, & dial down BIG emotions. Increase your own effectiveness to respond to BIG emotions rather than react.
About the Presenter:
Presenter – Patty Gieselman, MFT
What skills and strategies will be introduced?
- Mindfulness – how to focus and be effective in the moment.
- Distress Tolerance – how to not make a difficult situation worse.
- Emotion Regulation – how to understand and manage intense emotions.
- Interpersonal Effectiveness – how to ask for what you want and say “NO” effectively.
- Validation – how to decrease a person’s reactivity in the moment.
- Learn how DBT skills and strategies can both prevent and treat problem behaviors resulting from difficulties in regulating emotions.
- Identify the primary skills modules in DBT and how they can assist people in having more control over their immediate emotional and behavioral responses.
- Identify and practice skills drawn from DBT to teach clients how they can regulate emotions in order to improve clinical problem-solving.
Open to therapists, parents, teachers, counselors, and anyone who works with, lives with, or cares for people with BIG emotions!
COST: $35 (includes 2 CE credits and lunch)
2 CEs available for Psychologists, MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, and RNs.
JOIN US FOR OUR LUNCH AND LEARN EVENT!
Friday, August 3, 2018
11:30 AM – 2:00 PM
24 W Union Street
Pasadena, CA 91103
Questions? Contact Cathleen Cash at (626) 470-9834 ext 502
Cancellation/Refund Policy: If you need to cancel your registration at a later date, please note that refunds will only be issued for cancellations made at least 24 hours before the workshop you register for. Refund request must be made in writing.
Patricia Gieselman Marriage & Family Therapy, Inc.(dba: Choices Counseling & Skills Center) is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT#128621) to sponsor continuing professional education for MFTs, LCSWs, and LPCCs. Patricia Gieselman, MFT is a Continuing Education Provider for California’s Board of Registered Nursing (CEP#15873). Patricia Gieselman Marriage & Family Therapy, Inc. (dba: Choices Counseling & Skills Center) is approved (PAT#037) by the California Psychological Association to provide continuing professional education for psychologists. Patricia Gieselman Marriage & Family Therapy, Inc. maintains responsibility for this program and its content.